Answers to Frequently Asked Questions concerning the Accountancy program are listed below.
What is an accountant?
An accountant is an individual who is qualified, through education, internship or work experience, to perform specific accounting work under the supervision of a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), controller, auditor or other management accountants.
What duties does an accountant perform?
An accountant may perform such duties as:
- Financial accounting and reporting
- Preparation of tax documents
- Management services and consulting
- Financial analysis
- Cash management
Where does an accountant work?
An accountant may work in a:
- Certified public accounting firms
- Large corporations and small businesses
- Financial management organizations
- Law firms
- Property management companies
- Hotels, restaurants or casinos
- Banks and other financial institutions
- Government agencies
What is the income potential for an accountant?
Income varies depending on the type of accounting position. The median income for the U.S. is $45,000 and the median income for the Memphis Metropolitan area is $39,000.
What will the accountancy degree allow me to do?
Earn an Associate of Applied Science Degree at Southwest and enter the job market immediately upon graduation.
What is Southwest's employment rate for graduates of the accountancy program?
Southwest's employment rate for accountants is 100 percent each year.
Why choose the accountancy program at Southwest?
- Fully accredited programs by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- Small classes for more personalized attention
- Flexible class schedules available at multiple campuses, centers, sites; and distance learning opportunities
- Affordable tuition
- Support services, including career counseling, free tutoring and career services, financial aid, job opportunity assistance and on-site child care services