|Macon Cove||Phone: 901-333-5924|
|Union Avenue||Phone: 901-333-5924|
Student Records-Grades and Grade Point Average (GPA)
Southwest Tennessee Community College uses a 4.0 quality point grading system. The academic performance level of each student is designated on the permanent record by a letter grade which has an assigned quality point value. Grading occurs at the end of each semester.
|Grade Per Credit Hour||Quality Points||Designated Performance Level|
The following grades are not used in calculating the grade point average:
- P Passing
- Used for special courses or to indicate student completed coursework by an alternative method
- S Satisfactory
- Used for special courses or to indicate that the student meets sufficient standards for credit to be earned through an alternative method
- U Unsatisfactory
- Used for special courses or to indicate that the student does not meet sufficient standards for credit to be earned through an alternative method
- Credit By-Examination Satisfactory
- Credit By-Examination Unsatisfactory
- Credit given for experiential learning, portfolio satisfactory
- W Withdrawal
- Used to indicate that the student officially withdrew from the course
- I Incomplete
- Used to indicate that the student has not completed the courses due to extenuating circumstances and he/she is being allowed an opportunity to complete the work because of previous satisfactory performance. The student must complete the work by the deadline published in the academic calendar, or the "I" grade will change to an "F" grade.
- No grade submitted
Calculating the Grade Point Average
Southwest Tennessee Community College, at the end of each semester, calculates each student's term and cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA). The GPA is calculated by dividing the total quality points earned by the total quality hours attempted.
Quality points are calculated by multiplying the course credit hours times the quality point value of the letter grade assigned for the course (Example: History is a 3 credit hour course. If the student earns a "B" grade, the total quality points earned for the course is 3 x 3 = 9).
The transcript will include the following:
- a quality point average for college level courses only
- a quality point average with a combination of college level, remedial and developmental courses
Only college level GPA will be used for graduation and for determining term and graduation honors. The combined GPA will be used for determining suspension and probation, financial aid eligibility and athletic eligibility.
A student may automatically repeat any course for which an "A" or "B" grade was not earned. If the grade of "A" or "B" was earned in a course, permission from the Department chairperson is needed to repeat the course; or repeating the course must be required for entry into one of the college's academic programs.
The GPA will be calculated using the last grade assigned to the repeated course (even if the last grade is lower than the previous grade) and the attempted credit hours will be counted only once for the course with one exception. If the course is repeated three times, the third grade and each subsequent grade and credit hours for the third and each subsequent attempt will be used in calculating the Grade Point Average.