Southwest accepts Student Ambassador applications (PDF) [Size: 326 KB], requires Adobe Reader (opens new window), until March 15 each year for the following academic year. The Ambassadors are a group of students who serve as official goodwill representatives of the College. Southwest encourages anyone to apply who feels that he/she meets the following criteria:
- free of any disciplinary action by the college
- willing to work in all areas of the college
- has at least a 2.8 grade point average
- familiar with Southwest and its activities
- is of good moral character and respectful to others
- has an outgoing and energetic personality
- is supportive of and loyal to Southwest
Desired Skill Sets
The following skill sets are desired office place skills; but the program is willing to train engaged students on these skills or improving in areas while they are involved in the Ambassador program.
- Computer Skills - Email, Microsoft Office Suite
- Communication - Public speaking, interpersonal communication, clear and concise writing
- Organizational - Prioritization, clean, professional, neat, filing
- Student Ambassador Training
For more information about the ambassador program, please contact us at 901-333-4399, 901-333-4110 or send us an email.
There are many benefits to becoming a Southwest Student Ambassador. Studies have shown that students who are involved with extracurricular activities tend to perform better academically. Below are some benefits that students gain from participating in this program.
- Leadership Experience
- Communication, Teambuilding, and Profession Skill Building
- Academic and Professional Networking
- Resume Building Skills
- Scholarship Opportunities
Program Details and Responsibilities
The duties of a Student Ambassador are very broad. They generally fall into three main categories:
- Recruiting - Conducting group or individualized campus tours, assisting the Office of Recruitment
- Public Relations
Ambassadors selected receive a Southwest Academic Service Scholarship that pays tuition (in-state only) plus $100 each semester, based on full-time enrollment. A 75 hour per semester service obligation to the college is required of all recipients enrolled full-time. For part-time students, the maximum amount awarded and the service obligation hours are prorated. For more information about the Student Ambassadors please contact the Recruitment Office.
Ambassadors make a commitment to give 75 hours a semester to the Office of Recruitment and in return are granted a scholarship to pay their tuition that semester. Each ambassadorial term is for one semester; however, students who meet the requirements of the program are welcome to stay on for additional semesters.
Students are required to attend Student Leadership Institute during the summer break before fall semester start. They are also required to attend a training session at the beginning of each semester in order to stay in the program. Commitment to each event is vital to the Ambassador Program- Students who commit to attend or work an event should be present and represent the college to the best of their ability.
- Knowledge of college procedures for student admissions, orientation, and registration
- Knowledge of educational goals
- Campus tour training
- Leadership skills
- Being a role model in the college
- Communication skills
- Knowing your personal strengths and limitations
Upon completion of this part of basic training, students should be able to facilitate small group and one-on-one interaction with students from diverse backgrounds.