Tennessee Promise

Advising and Counseling

Welcome to the Advising and Counseling Department at Southwest. Advising is an essential key to your success. Academic Advisors help you plan your academic experience at Southwest to enable you to achieve your educational goals.

Academic Advising and Counseling

First-time (new) students

All first-time (new) students will be advised via the Advising and Counseling Department. To better serve our new students we employ the appointment system. New students can request an appointment in one of three ways:

  1. Emailing advising@southwest.tn.edu and provide your full name, Student ID number, and date of birth.
  2. Login to the My.Southwest College Portal, locate the Quick Launch area [left side of the screen] and select the Student Advising icon.Student Advising
  3. Call one of the campus locations, Macon Cove Office, 901-333-4594 or Union Avenue Office, 901-333-5122.

Students with a declared major

After the first semester, students who have selected a specific academic program are assigned to a faculty advisor in that program.

Students who have not declared a major (Undecided)

Students who have an undecided major are assigned to the Advising and Counseling Department. We encourage them to take the Kuder® Career Planning System - Journey, provide career counseling based on the Kuder® results, and then advise the student to login into My.Southwest College Portal to "Change My Major." This information can be located by selecting the Registration / On-line Services icon (globe) and choosing "Change My Major" from the list.

Don't hesitate to ask an advisor, Veterans Affairs or Student Disability Services counselor for help as questions arise. To make sure that all your forms have been completed for graduation please contact Admissions and Records.

For information on careers, help preparing your resume, or practice for interviews, please contact Career Services.