At the NSO session, you will have the opportunity to meet with an advisor, register for classes, speak with a Financial Aid representative, as well as receive important information pertaining to your college career.
Select a header to expand/collapse the content.
- First-time entering, degree-seeking students who will attend Southwest in the upcoming semester
- Students who participated in Dual Enrollment and have not attended college since their high school graduation
- Transfer students
The following documents must be submitted to the Admissions and Records office before you can attend a NSO. If you have already submitted these documents, you are ready for the NSO:
- A copy of your ACT, SAT, COMPASS, or ASSET college placement test scores (required)
- Copies of transcripts from all previously attended colleges
We also recommend you submit the following documents to the Admissions and Records office:
- A copy of your immunization records, if you were born on or after January 1, 1957
- An official high school transcript or GED/high school equivalency diploma
- Proof of citizenship (Driver's license, State ID, Birth Certificate, Green Card, or Passport)
There are two ways to register/complete the required NSO; attend a face-to-face session or complete the online NEW Student Orientation.
Reserve a seat for one of the NSO sessions shown in the Schedule table below. Registration can be schedule online or by calling the Advising and Counseling office.
- Online: Register for a scheduled NSO session by logging into AdvisorTrac.
- Phone Call: Call Advising and Counseling at 901-333-4594 [Macon Cove Campus] or 901-333-5122 [Union Avenue Campus].
|Date / Day||Time||Place|
|*November 13 /Thursday||4 p.m.||Union Avenue Campus, E Building, Room VS 113 (Theatre)|
|*November 14 /Friday||9 a.m.||Macon Cove Campus, Farris Building, Room 1201 (Auditorium)|
|*December 11 /Thursday||4 p.m.||Union Avenue Campus, E Building, Room VS 113 (Theatre)|
|*December 12 /Friday||9 a.m.||Macon Cove Campus, Farris Building, Room 1201 (Auditorium)|
*Selecting the "Date" in the Schedule table above will take you to the AdvisorTrac Login page.
Note: If you are unable to attend the NSO in person, you may complete it online.
Complete the NSO online by logging in at My.Southwest Online Services, locate the Quick Launch area [left side of the screen] and select the NEW Student Orientation icon.
Below you will find an example of what happens in new student orientation. Please note the times of your sessions are subject to change depending on the date and time you have registered.
- 8:30 a.m. - Check In*
- 9 a.m. - Welcome
- 9:15 a.m. - Steps to Guide Your College Experience
- Session will include tips on time management, branding, proper dress for college and more.
- 9:30 a.m. - Our Way of Doing Things
- Session will include campus safety, calculating grades and more.
- 9:45 a.m. - Financial Aid
- 10 a.m. - Academic Presentation
- Session will include what the professor expects of you the student and what you should expect of the professor, introduction to Kuder Career Planning System – Journey a career assessment and planning system and more.
- 10:20 a.m. - Saluqi Treasure Hunt
- Session will include Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), online classes, tour of campus and more.
- 10:45 a.m. - Session ends (you will move to Session Two)
- 11 a.m. - Advising
- In this session you will discuss your program of study and degree options, you will register for classes and more.
- 11:45 a.m. - Orientation Activity
- In this session you will receive your Southwest Student Identification (ID) Cards and participate in a team building activity.
Please Note: Schedule subject to change.