Police Services/Public Safety
Note: Some links require Adobe Reader.
Welcome to the Police Services/Public Safety website. Our goals are to provide a quality department, produce satisfied customers, and have a total commitment to serving the College population.
The College maintains a 24-hour dispatch operation staffed by Police Services/Public Safety personnel. Officers on duty at night, after class hours, and on weekends are equipped with a radio/telephone which can be reached by calling 901-333-4242 on the Macon Cove Campus and 901-333-5555 on the Union Avenue Campus.
Surveillance cameras are located strategically across all Southwest locations. These cameras transmit 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to monitors and videotape devices located in the Police Services/Public Safety office.
All members of the College are encouraged to report any unsafe or dangerous situation. Southwest is always looking to ensure that the College is a safe, secure, and healthy environment in which to study and work.
Active Shooter Training
We want to enhance preparedness through a "whole community" approach by providing training, for active shooter awareness, incident response, and workplace violence. In many cases, there is no pattern or method to the selection of victims by an active shooter, and these situations are by their very nature unpredictable and evolve quickly.
AVOID starts with your state of mind.
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Have an exit plan.
- Move away from the source of the threat as quickly as possible.
- The more distance and barriers between you and the threat, the better.
DENY when getting away is difficult or maybe even impossible.
- Keep distance between you and the source.
- Create barriers to prevent or slow down a threat from getting to you.
- Turn the lights off.
- Remain out of sight and quiet by hiding behind large objects and silence your phone.
DEFEND because you have the right to protect yourself.
- If you cannot Avoid or Deny be prepared to defend yourself.
- Be aggressive and committed to your actions.
- Do not fight fairly. THIS IS ABOUT SURVIVAL.
Please view our active shooter training playlist below to learn more.
To navigate the playlist and choose individual videos within the playlist, please click the icon with the three lines at the far left top of the video viewing area.