Foundation Scholarship and Criteria
As scholarships are dependent upon availability of funds, not all scholarships can be awarded every year.
A completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application is the basis for all types of financial aid awarded at Southwest, even scholarships, so go online to apply even if you do not believe that you are eligible for grant programs.
The Med Foundation/Kirk Franklin Scholarship
Two scholarships are available for the academic year to students pursuing a degree in Nursing.
- Must be admitted and enrolled in the Nursing Program and completed any required developmental courses
- Must be a full-time nursing student
- Must have and maintain a 2.5 GPA through the entire award period
- Recipient must sign an agreement with The Med to work at the hospital for two years
- Applicants must not be receiving other college awards
- Academic standing and financial need will be considered
- Write a short essay on "Why I Want To Pursue A Career In Nursing"
- Applicant must have received a high school diploma or a GED to be eligible.
Submit application to the Southwest Tennessee Community College Financial Aid Office by March 15. Application(s) from Southwest Tennessee Community College must be submitted to The Med Foundation office by April 1, deadline.
Southwest Tennessee Community College Scholarship Committee narrows the field of applicants to four finalists whose names are forwarded to the donor for final selection.
Note: Awards for new students will be based on availability of funds. The Med Foundation may elect not to award new recipients based on available funds.