Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions concerning Advising are listed below.

What steps do I need to follow to attend or return to Southwest Tennessee Community College?

Select the type of student that best descibes you and following the steps outlined in the checklist.

How do I get into the Nursing and/or an Allied Health Sciences degree programs, such as Physical Therapist Assistant or Radiologic Technology?

These programs may have special admissions requirements that must be met prior to being selected for the program. In most cases, you will have one or two semesters of prerequisite coursework needed before taking the actual classes for the major. For additional information see the links below:

Do I have to be full-time student to qualify for Financial Aid?

No, Financial Aid is awarded based on eligibility and enrolled hours. For additional information visit the Financial Aid website.

How do I "drop" or "withdraw" from a class and what is the difference?

Dropping: A student may officially drop a class within the prescribed time as noted in the Academic Calendar. The date on which the student drops from the class will affect the amount of refund to which the student may be entitled. Classes dropped during the prescribed time do not appear on the student's transcript. Students receiving financial aid should consult with a representative in the Financial Aid Office.

Withdrawing: A student who officially withdraws within the prescribed time will receive a "W" on the transcript. If a student stops attending classes or fails to officially withdraw, a grade of "F" or "FA" will be assigned for each class. It is the student's responsibility to officially withdraw. Withdrawing from a class may have an effect on financial aid. Therefore, students receiving financial aid should consult with a representative in the Financial Aid Office.

How do I find my Advisor?

If you are an undecided major or first time student (coming from high school or transferring in), you may see a General Academic Advisor. Visit the Advising Locations/Hours of Operation page for the Macon Cove and Union Avenue Campus information. Please call to make an appointment.

Follow the steps found on the Find My Advisor page.

[back to top]