When choosing a career it is important to know yourself, learn about options, and develop a plan to successfully reach your goals. Whether you are trying to decide on a major, unclear about career options or want to make a career change, Career Services can help.
All students are encouraged to meet with Career Services during their first semester to learn about available resources and discuss their career plans.
Take a Free Career Assessment & Explore Your Options
The following career exploration and assessment tools simplify the process of choosing your career path:
- Career Coach Assessment – find and explore best-matched careers and access real-time labor market information
- Kuder®Career Planning Assessment - identify careers based on your interests, skills confidence, and work values
- Memphis Works - gain insight into local jobs in a variety of businesses
Discuss Your Assessment Results
Career Services is eager to meet with you to:
- Review the results of your career assessment
- Discuss your career interests and identify resources for further exploration
- Identify Southwest majors related to your career goals so that you are better prepared to meet with your advisor
Discuss Your Career Path With Your Advisor
Your advisor can help you map out an academic plan and choose courses that will prepare you for your chosen career. Once you have chosen a major (or if you want to change your current major), please follow the steps below to update your Southwest electronic record. It is important to have your correct college major in the system in order to be properly advised.
- Login into My.SouthwestCollege Portal (opens new window)
- Select the Registration / On-line Services icon (globe)
- Choose "Change My Major" from the list.
- Select your desired major