Relief for those in need of food
By Suzanne Gibson
May 31, 2020
The Coronavirus pandemic has left many families struggling to put food on their tables. If you are in need of food, Catholic Charities of West Tennessee can help. The non-profit organization provides long term supplemental food benefits to eligible applicants through SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), a service supported by the Walmart Foundation and Catholic Charities USA. Staff also operate a drive-thru food bank for individuals who need emergency food assistance.
To apply for SNAP benefits, call 901-250-4004 and leave a message with your full name and phone number (including area code), or email your information to firstname.lastname@example.org. A staff member will contact you to begin the application process. Staff are available to receive calls Monday – Thursday, 8:30 a.m.– 3 p.m.
Applicants will be asked to present identification for ALL six categories listed below. Types of acceptable identification are listed per category.
- Social security numbers for all members of your household
- Identification (driver’s license, school ID with photo, passport, resident alien card, I-94 card or voter's registration card)
- Proof of Address (lease agreement, utility bill, phone bill, or driver’s license with your address on it)
- Proof of income (check stubs, employer statement or award letters)
- Shelter costs (mortgage payments, property tax, homeowner’s insurance, rent receipt or lease agreement)
- Utility costs (electric bill, water bill or gas bill)
Individuals who need temporary emergency assistance may pick up food at the agency’s drive-thru food bank located at Catholic Charites of West Tennessee, 1325 Jefferson Avenue in Memphis, Monday – Thursday, 9 – 11 a.m. To receive assistance, you must have one form of picture identification and proof of residency (electric, water or gas bills).
For more information about the SNAP program, visit: https://www.ccwtn.org/ccwtn-snap-benefits/