Academic Fresh Start
Academic Fresh Start is a plan of academic forgiveness which allows undergraduate students who have experienced academic difficulty to make a clean start upon returning to college after an extended absence.
- Separation from all collegiate institutions for a minimum of four (4) consecutive years.
- Readmission or admission as a degree-seeking student
- Meet with your Professional Academic Advisor to develop an academic plan.
- Complete the Application for Academic Fresh Start.
Terms of the Academic Fresh Start
Once the student has satisfied the above requirements, the Academic Fresh Start may be approved. The student may be granted a Fresh Start only once.
The student's permanent record will remain a record of all work; however, courses taken and previously failed will be excluded from the calculation of the GPA. Courses with a D grade will also be excluded from the calculation when a grade of C or better is required in the student's current major.
- Retained grades will be calculated in the Fresh Start GPA.
- Courses with D or F grades must be repeated at the institution when they are required in the student's current major. All remaining courses for the current degree objectives must be completed at the institution. No transient credit will be accepted after invoking Academic Fresh Start.
- The application of retained credit toward degree requirements will be determined by the requirements currently in effect at the time the academic renewal status is conferred on the student. Specific program regulations must also be met.
- Previously satisfied and approved standardized test requirements will not be forfeited.
Upon degree admission, Fresh Start applicants who did not satisfy approved standardized test requirements at the time of previous enrollment and whose academic plan includes completion of a college-level English or mathematics course must meet current approved standardized test requirements regarding enrollment in college English and mathematics courses.
The student will apply for the Fresh Start with the understanding that all TBR institutions will honor a Fresh Start provision granted at another TBR institution. The student should also signify understanding that non-TBR institutions may not accept the GPA as it is calculated with the Fresh Start at Southwest Tennessee Community College.
- This policy is independent of financial aid regulations. All coursework will still count in the Financial Aid satisfactory academic progress calculation. Financial aid requirements at the time of application will apply. Therefore, a Fresh Start applicant should check with Financial Aid for further guidance.
- The student's transcript will note that the Fresh Start was made and the date of the Fresh Start.
The granting of Academic Fresh Start does not resolve any previous debts owed to the institution. If approved, the applicant should consult with the appropriate offices to discuss all past due balances, if applicable.
You may apply for Academic Fresh Start using the online Fresh Start Application.