Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions concerning the Partnership Enrollment Program (PEP) are listed below.

Beginning fall 2009, the UofM partnered Southwest to offer a PEP that guarantees university admission to any student who completes the associate's degree university track [Associate of Arts (A.A.) or Associate of Science (A.S.)]. The agreement benefits students by reducing the total cost of higher education by encouraging students to complete the associate's degree at the community college. Students also benefit from improved and collaborative academic advising and by completion of joint admissions contracts. This agreement provides general admission to the UofM. Some academic programs may have their own additional process (for example, Nursing) for which admission to the actual program must be secured separately. Requirements for admission to individual academic programs may vary. By making this choice early in their academic career, students will receive advising and access to some UofM services and activities prior to their admission to the UofM.

If you enroll in the PEP with the University of Memphis (UofM) and complete an associate's degree university track (A.A. or A.S.) at Southwest, you will:

  • Enjoy the benefits of academic counseling from a UofM Transfer Advisor
  • Be eligible to participate in priority pre-registration in University courses for your first semester after community college graduation.
  • Be released from completing the UofM application when transferring
  • Have the transfer application fee (currently $25) waived.
  • Receive access to Campus Recreation and Intramural Services plus Student Activities - $65/semester AND/OR
  • Receive access to student athletic events via payment of full-time student athletic fee - $225/semester
  • Receive access to a parking permit - $30/ per semester

Southwest students who:

  • Meet current admission criteria at the Southwest
  • Be enrolled at a Southwest in an associate's degree university track (A.A. or A.S.) program
  • Have earned fewer than 30 higher education credits
  • Complete the associate degree with a minimum overall combined 2.0 GPA as computed by the University of Memphis (UofM). Individual departmental requirements may be higher.
  • Be in good academic standing
  • Be in compliance with the code of conduct for Southwest
  • Do not attend another institution between the time you graduate from Southwest and formally enroll at the UofM.
  • Formally enroll in the UofM within one year of the Southwest associate degree completion.
  • Qualified students will begin receiving advising from university advisors as soon as they sign up.

None. Enrolling in the Partnership Enrollment Program (PEP) does not obligate you in any way or prevent you from exploring options at other colleges and universities.

If you have determined that you are eligible to take part in the PEP and that the University of Memphis (UofM) is your choice for the completion of your bachelor's degree, you are ready to proceed.

Your Partnership Intent to Enroll Form will be reviewed. When your eligibility has been confirmed, you will be notified by the Office of Admissions.

  • You must continue to enroll at Southwest
  • You must comply with the Southwest and UofM advising requirements
  • You must remain in good academic standing and in compliance with the code of conduct

You can apply for the PEP any time up to the point you have earned no more than 30 hours. These credits include all courses taken at an institution of higher education, not just those taken at Southwest. When you have decided on a major you should apply for the PEP.

You must meet the requirements for admission into specific majors that are established for all students. These requirements could include preparing a portfolio of work, earning specific GPA or another requirement. You will be advised regarding these requirements when you indicate your choice of major. The PEP guarantees admission to the UofM, not to specific degree programs.

Yes, as long as the total number of college level credits that you have earned when you sign up for the PEP is less than 30, you can enroll.

Contact Us