Southwest Tennessee Community College to offer free flu shots to the public at Gill Center
By Diana Fedinec
Southwest is partnering with the Tennessee Department of Health and Shelby County Health Department to offer FREE flu vaccinations 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Nov. 9, 2021, at the College’s Gill Center in Frayser located at 3833 Mountain Terrace in Memphis.
According to the Health Department, there are several reasons why it is important to get a flu shot this year:
- The flu shot is recommended for anyone over the age of 6 months. Everyone is at risk, especially during influenza season, which usually runs from October to May each year, with the most cases in our region usually reported in February.
- Getting a flu vaccination is especially important this season, because it will protect against the flu and help save the limited resources many medical facilities have for COVID-19 patients.
- While annual flu vaccination is always for everyone aged 6 months and older, this season getting vaccinated is even more important for certain people who are at high risk of being exposed to flu and COVID-19, or developing serious complications from flu and COVID-19.
- Flu can lower the body’s defenses to other infections, including COVID-19. Older adults, smokers, or anyone with a chronic condition like asthma, diabetes, or heart disease are especially at risk. Don’t take chances with the flu. Get your vaccine now.
- Our community is stronger when we are all protected against seasonal flu.
For more information about the flu shot, Covid-19 and other vaccinations offered by the Health Department, visit www.shelbytnhealth.com.