Southwest Softball Announces Signing Class
The Southwest softball program has announced the signing of eight student-athletes to NJCAA National Letters of Intent. They will enroll at Southwest in the fall of 2012.
- Kelcie Alvey, an outfielder from Munford High School, was an All-District Player for MHS in 2009. She batted .336 with 32 runs scored, 18 runs batted in and 24 stolen bases.
- Kelsey Cassell, a catcher/utility player from South Side High School in Bee Branch, Arkansas, was a three-time All-Conference and also a three-time Arkansas Class A All-State selection and was named to the Arkansas High School Coaches Association All-Star Team. As a senior, she batted .456 with 19 doubles, three triples, two home runs and 37 runs batted in.
- Kayla Dillard, an outfielder from Little Rock Central High School, was named to the All-District Team as a senior and helped lead Central High to the state tournament for the first time in school history. Dillard played travel ball for the Arkansas Elite and previously played for the Germantown Red Devils Gold team.
- Sami Jo Kelly, an infielder from Bolton High School, was named All-District 14AAA, Commercial Appeal Best of the Preps All-Metro and Bolton's Offensive Player of the Year. As a junior, Kelly batted .309 with three home runs and 30 runs batted in and helped lead the Lady Wildcats to the Region 7AAA Championship and a berth in the Class AAA State Tournament.
- Kelsey Knight, an infielder from Bolton High School, was a two-time All-District 14AAA and also garnered Commercial Appeal Best of the Preps All-Metro honors. A 2011 graduate of Bolton, Knight was team captain, a four-year starter and one of the team's top hitters throughout her high school career. She helped lead the Lady Wildcats to the Class AAA State Tournament her senior year.
- Taylor Moore, an infielder from South Gibson High School in Medina, Tennessee, was named First Team All-West Tennessee by The Jackson Sun and was Most Valuable Player of the West Tennessee All-Star Game. Moore batted .427 as a senior with 16 doubles and 37 runs batted in and as a pitcher had 10 wins, a 1.77 earned run average and 66 strikeouts.
- Taylor Thomas, a pitcher from Berry High School in Berry, Alabama, was selected to the First Team Class A Alabama All-State Team. As a senior, Thomas posted a 26-13 record with six shutouts, two no-hitters and a 1.49 earned run average. In 253 innings, she struck out 395 batters including 20 in one game against Hubbertville. Thomas struck out 1,239 batters in her career which ranks 18th all-time in the state of Alabama.
- Kayla Wright, a pitcher from Dyersburg High School, was named First Team All-District as a junior and Second Team All-District as a senior. She also made the All-District Tournament Team twice and was a three-time recipient of Dyersburg High's Pitcher of the Year Award. As a senior, Wright won 11 games, struck out 71 batters and pitched a no-hit game against Halls.