Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions concerning the Dual Enrollment program are listed below.

Dual enrollment students may take any class for which they meet the prerequisites and/or eligibility requirements.

The popular courses that dual enrollment students take are:

  • ACAD 1010 - Academic Success Seminar
  • BUSN 1305 - Introduction to Business
  • CRMJ 1010 - Introduction to Criminal Justice
  • ECON 2010 - Macroeconomics
  • ECON 2020 - Microeconomics
  • ENGL 1010 - English Composition I
  • ENGL 1020 - English Composition II
  • MATH 1530 - Probability and Statistics
  • MATH 1710 - Pre-Calculus I
  • MATH 1830 - Calculus
  • PSYC 1030 - General Psychology

For additional information about courses and possible prerequisite(s) visit the Course Descriptions section in the current online Academic Catalog.


The dual enrollment grant is funded through the state lottery and is available to apply toward the cost of courses at the selected college.


Unfortunately, the grant nor Southwest will provide students with books. Dual enrollment students will need to purchase their own books for the course. To determine what book you need for the course, contact the college Bookstore.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) (opens new window) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

What this means is that your child's instructor is not able to share information with you without his or her written consent. Waiver forms are available in the Admissions. Students must complete the form in person and present a picture ID.


Dual enrollment students are expected to adhere to the Southwest course schedule. This means there may be occasions when your high school is not in session, yet you are required to attend your dual enrollment courses.


This is an automated response that is sent out to all Southwest students who have not paid for their classes. If you have completed the dual enrollment grant for this semester or simply paid for the course, you will not be dropped from your class.


Dual enrollment students should always consult their guidance counselor (or parent if homeschooled) prior to dropping a course, to ensure that needed credits can be obtained by other means. Students taking classes at one of our locations may log into their My.Southwest account to drop their class(es). Students taking courses at their high school must have their guidance counselor contact Southwest so that we can remove them from the class.

It is important to remember that students cannot simply stop attending a class. Formal withdrawal must take place. Depending on the date of the withdrawal, students may or may not receive a grade of "W." Refunds and fees due also vary depending on the withdrawal date. Please see the Academic Calendar for details regarding withdrawal deadlines.


For information about requesting Southwest transcripts, please visit the Transcript Requests page.

Related Links

Contact Us