Scoop January/February 2021 Edition
FROM THE PRESIDENT
The mission, reach and impact of community colleges are fundamental, yet responsive and evolving. Community colleges were established to provide greater access to higher education and at a lower cost. Today, the role of community colleges is expanding...
Southwest wins prestigious national Bellwether Award
Bellwether Consortium officials during the virtual 27th Annual Community College Futures Assembly Jan. 26 recognized Southwest Tennessee Community College as the top college in its Planning, Governance & Finance category for the prestigious 2021...
Chef Leake dishes out favorite eats on News Channel 3
Looking for easy and delicious recipes, but not sure where to start? Southwest’s culinary and hospitality management instructor Chef Steven Leake will have you craving and creating unique dinners and desserts in no time. Just watch his monthly...
EDGE, TSBDC partner to help small businesses obtain economic development loans
The Tennessee Small Business Development Center at Southwest Tennessee Community College is partnering with the Economic Development Growth Engine to provide assistance to small businesses completing the Inner City Economic Development Loan Application.....
FACULTY KUDOS: Dean Young appointed to Education Trust policy council
Congratulations to Dr. LaDonna Young, Dean of Humanities, Social Sciences & Mathematics, on her appointment to The Education Trust’s Higher Education Policy Council. Young began serving a one-year term February 1.
FAFSA filing deadlines extended; Early filers win $250 book scholarships
The Tennessee Higher Education Commission/Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation has extended the Tennessee Promise FAFSA (Free Application for Financial Aid) filing deadline and the priority FAFSA deadline to March 1, 2021, for high school students...
In This Issue...
- FROM THE PRESIDENT
- Southwest wins prestigious national Bellwether Award
- Chef Leake dishes out favorite eats on News Channel 3
- EDGE, TSBDC partner to help small businesses obtain economic development loans
- FACULTY KUDOS: Dean Young appointed to Education Trust policy council
- FAFSA filing deadlines extended; Early filers win $250 book scholarships
- Medical District gets new app-based shuttle service
- Telehealth, food boxes available to students in need
- Welcome Aboard: Sherita Robertson, Director of Financial Aid
- POLICY MATTERS: About conflicts of interest and commitment
- Renowned author Clifton Taulbert returns, sheds light on Black Wall Street at Men in Black Awards
- Courageous Conversations series features Richard Milner
- President Tracy D. Hall elected to SACSCOC Board of Trustees
- Saluqis open 2021 Season
- Final Let’s Talk About Race workshop slated for March 16
- Greene to serve as Interim Vice President for Finance and Administration
- STAFF KUDOS: Taylor presents at Dream 2021
- Students can develop leadership skills with Learning to Lead
- The Taste is still cooking with curbside take-out
- STAFF KUDOS: Southwest apprenticeship coordinator makes Forbes first Next 1000 list
- Fisher tackles corporate sustainability and the pandemic in latest book
- STUDENT KUDOS: Southwest thespian makes TV commercial debut
- New Year, New You!
- Address confidentiality program protects domestic violence survivors
- Southwest inducts 68 students into inaugural leadership class
- Let’s celebrate the Bellwether Award!
- Southwest: In the News