Interview Attire Recommendations for Men
The overall goal is to present yourself in the most professional way possible. You've invested a lot of time and hard work in your academic studies. Now, it's time to prepare for that all important job interview.
Some general guidelines on what to wear in your job interview are provided below.
- A two-piece matching, solid color (navy, black, or gray) suit is always the ideal and safest choice.
- If this is not an option, a dark pair of dress pants, a white dress shirt and tie is the next best thing.
- Wear a long sleeve shirt, even in the summer.
- Choose a shirt color that coordinates with tie. Lighter colors are recommended, however with the right tie, a darker dress shirt is an acceptable alternative.
- Clean and press shirt and make sure all buttons are buttoned.
- Choose a tie with a conservative pattern that coordinates with shirt and suit. Leave the character (Looney Toons) ties at home.
- Wear a pair of dark, clean shoes and socks that match the suit; no white athletic socks.
- A belt with a simple buckle is best; belt color should match shoes.
- A fresh, clean shaven face is recommended. If facial hair is worn, it should be neat and trimmed.
- Hair should be clean and worn out of your face.
- Use deodorant, but refrain from wearing cologne since it can aggravate allergies.
- Fingernails should be clean and trimmed.
- Make sure to brush teeth and use mouthwash. Avoid gum, candy, or cigarettes.
- Do not wear any rings other than wedding or college ring.
- No earrings; if you normally wear one, take it out.
- Cover any visible tattoos and remove body piercing's (nose rings, eyebrow rings, etc.)
- Wear a conservative watch to assure punctuality.
- Empty pockets to avoid bulges or jingling coins.
- Consider bringing a light briefcase or portfolio with pen and paper for note taking.
- Do not take a cell phone into the interview.
- Career Services Home
- Students and Alumni
- Employers and Partners
- Faculty and Staff
- Locations and Hours
- Career Articles
- Contact Us
- Career Planning and Exploration
- Jobs and Career Fairs
- Resume Review and Interview Skills
- Career Services Office
- Online and On Campus Appointments Available!
- Current students can schedule theirs at: https://swtn.navigate.eab.com
- New students or alumni can email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on twitter and Instagram: @SouthwestCareer