ESL Frequently Asked Questions
Southwest offers four ESL courses:
- ENGL 1000 - ESL Listening and Speaking
Listening and speaking skills at the beginning level
- ENGL 1001 - ESL Reading and Writing
Reading and writing skills at the beginning level
- ENGL 1002 - English as Second Language II
Reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills at the intermediate level
- ENGL 1003 - English as Second Language III
Reading, writing, speaking, and listening at the high-intermediate level
In addition to the ESL courses above, we offer ESL sections of these General Education classes:
- ACAD 1100 – Academic Success Seminar
- ENGL 1010 – English Composition I
- ENGL 1020 – English Composition II
- COMM 2025 – Fundamentals of Speech Communication
Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, all of our courses are being offered online. Students
meet as a class with their professor once a week for online meetings and have access
to their professors online throughout the week.
We will begin offering summer session ESL classes in 2021.
Our academic calendar can be found here: http://catalog.southwest.tn.edu/content.php?catoid=29&navoid=1078
- Fall Semester 2020: August 24-December 4, 2020
- Spring Semester 2021: January 19, 2021 - May 7, 2021
- Fall Semester 2021: August 23, 2021-December 1, 2021
- Spring Semester 2022: January 18, 2022 – April 27, 2022
Yes, students receive three hours of college credit for each course:
- ENGL 1000, ENGL 1001, ENGL 1002, ENGL1003
- ENGL 1010, ENGL 1020, SPCH 1620, SPCH 1010
Please note that while they will count as electives towards your degree at Southwest, some of our courses (ENGL 1000 &1001) are not designed to transfer to other universities.
Our online placement test is available at: https://forms.gle/NvtB5hQjNT4NHENM8
After you have taken the placement test, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an advising appointment.
Please refer to the Southwest Admissions page for specific steps to apply and gain admission to Southwest: https://www.southwest.tn.edu/admissions/
Macon Cove Campus, Academic Bldg. C, Rm. 262
Tuition depends on in-state/out-of-state status and the number of classes taken. For more information, please see the tuition page.
Every student must prove that they live in Tennessee and/or are eligible for financial
aid or in-state tuition. For more information, please visit our citizenship page.
For more information, please contact:
Annie Moss, Admissions Director
Macon Cove Campus, Farris Building, Rm. 2040
Email: email@example.comTuition depends on in-state/out-of-state status and the number of classes taken. For more information, please see the tuition page.
- Annie Moss, Director of Admissions and Records/Primary Designated School Official (PDSO for SEVIS)
- Shannon Brown, Admissions Coordinator/Designated School Official (DSO for SEVIS)