Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions concerning Veterans Affairs are listed below. Additional questions and answers can be found at the United States Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Where should I go to apply for Veterans benefits?

Please visit to apply for your educational benefits.

Is our office affiliated with or a part of the Department of Veterans Affairs?

No, our office acts simply as a liaison between the veteran and the Department of Veterans Affairs.

What purpose does the Veterans Affairs Office at Southwest serve?

Our office certifies with VA the enrollment of those receiving VA Educational Benefits.

How soon should I submit my VA paperwork for an upcoming term?

As soon you are registered for classes and complete a Veterans Request for Certification form.

Can I receive VA educational benefit from two institutions simultaneously?

Yes, as a transient student. However, you must provide an authorization letter from your primary institution as well.

Which courses are certifiable for VA pay?

The VA will only pay for those courses required of your specific degree and major.

Why is it necessary to complete a "Veterans Request for Certification" form each semester?

The VA gives universities the option of certifying either by term or the entire year. Our office has opted to certify by term.

What should I do to receive credit for prior military training and/or education?

Submit a copy of your DD-214 (Certificate of Discharge) or Joint Service Transcript (JST) to the office of Veteran Affairs and complete the application found at

When can I utilize my VA educational benefits?

VA educational benefits may be used during any academic term, including summer, with remaining entitlement. Simply notify our office.

Will I have to enroll full-time to receive my VA educational benefits?

No, VA has reduced rates for training less than full-time.

Does the college waive fees for students receiving VA educational benefits?

Requests for fee waivers are administered through the Cashier's Office; however, the "VA Hold Agreement" form must be completed with our office.

What happens if I should fail courses?

VA will repay for failed courses as long as the major requires a grade of "C" or better for degree completion. However, VA will not pay for failed courses due to non-attendance.

How do I contact the Department of Veterans Affairs?

By calling 1-888-442-4551 or visiting

Will VA pay for any degree and major?

VA will only pay for degrees and majors previously approved by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission. Contact the Veterans Coordinator for approved degrees and majors.

When will my Post-9/11 payment be applied to my student account?

Payments are posted by the Cashier's Office at the end of the term.

Who do I contact to verify that my Post-9/11 payment has been received by the college?

Students can verify receipt of Post-9/11 payment for tuition by contacting the Cashier's Office.

[back to top]