STUDENT NEWS: New AFA program nets four Memphis Ostrander awards
Congratulations to Southwest’s stellar thespians and members of the new Associate of Fine Arts program on winning four prestigious Ostrander Awards out of eight nominations in the Collegiate Division for the February 2020 production of Lorraine Hansberry’s A Raisin in the Sun.
“Our theatre program’s staff worked diligently to establish two long-awaited AFA degrees at Southwest that we are very proud of and the success of this production shows we did the right thing,” Department of Communications, Graphic and Fine Arts Patsy Fancher said. “These record-breaking Ostrander nominations showcase the dedication and talent of our instructors and hardworking, passionate students. Bravo to them all.”
Southwest 2020 Ostrander Winners
- Best Leading Actress: Mary Ann Washington
- Best Supporting Actor: Joshua Payne
- Best Featured Performer: Syndei Sutton
- Best Ensemble in a Drama: A Raisin in the Sun
Southwest 2020 Ostrander Nominees
- Best Supporting Actress: Azaria Henderson,
- Best Leading Actress: Ariona Campbell
- Best Leading Actor: Willis Green
- Best Direction: Sheila Darras
The department thanks President Tracy D. Hall, Dean of Humanities, Social Sciences and Mathematics Dr. LaDonna Young, Chairperson Patsy R. Fancher, Theatre Program Coordinator and Theater Manager Levi Frazier, Jr., and countless others who helped make this production a success.